Applications for the December 2019 Trip are now open!
Trip dates: December 16-24, 2019
Application deadline: September 22, 2019, at 11:59pm Hawaiian Standard Time (HST)
A separate application will be opened in November for the February 2020 trip.
First, fill out this application.
Then, please upload the following documents:
- Hand-signed Letter of Understanding submitted as a PDF
- A current photo (taken within 3 months)
- A copy of your valid passport. If you do not have a valid passport at this time, you may submit documentation that proves you have already applied for a passport, you must submit a copy of your actual passport no later than October 13. If you do not submit a copy of your passport by the October 13, you will not be able to attend the trip
All documents to be submitted with the application.
- Must be interested in U.S – Japan relations, as well as Japanese American interests.
- Japanese American
- Currently enrolled in a community college, undergraduate, graduate, or young professionals who have an undergraduate or graduate degree
- Must have US permanent resident status (citizens or green card holders) and travel with a US passport
- Must be at least 18 years old by the date of acceptance into the program and no older than 25 on the day they intend to depart for Japan
- Japanese dual citizens under the age of 22 may apply
- Those who have participated in Kakehashi or other programs funded by the Japanese government are ineligible.
- Those who have studied or stayed in Japan for over a year are ineligible.
- You do not need to be a JACL member to be eligible.
*Please be sure to review the JICE Application Guidelines, found here.
Sample Itinerary– Please note that the schedule is just an example, there may be changes.
Apply to be a supervisor
Fill out this application by September 25, 2019 11:59pm HST
Student Application – Sunday, September 22, 11:59pm HST
Supervisor Application – Wednesday, September 25, 11:59pm HST
Passports – Sunday, October 13, 11:59pm HST